The Peshastin water system began in the early 1900's with two water towers and a pumping station for irrigation built by J.Q. Gilbert and his brother, A.C. In the early 1920s, the Peshastin Lumber Mill purchased the system to supply domestic water for their workers' houses along the Wenatchee River. The Community Water Association took over managing the system in 1927. The Peshastin Water District was formed in September 1999 by public vote of the electorate located within the District's boundary. The purpose of forming the District was to assume the operation and maintenance of the financially failing Community Water Association.
The Water District includes three active wells, four reservoirs, two of which store 190,000 gallons each, a new tower that stores 275,000 gallons, and an additional reservoir located on Larson Rd that stores 30,000 gallons. There are approximately 4 miles of pipe which feed the system. The Water District currently serves 238 customers, including residential, commercial, industrial, an Elementary school, and a day care center.
In 2002, the District completed a water right transfer allowing the District to develop water uses that shall not exceed an instantaneous flow rate of 850gpm or an annual capacity of 520 acre-feet per year. The transfer authorized withdrawals from four existing wells and two wells that may be developed by the District to meet source protection and supply concerns if necessary. Washington State Department of Health Water Facilities Inventory currently approves 598 active connections.
In early 2004, the District completed a $2.7 million dollar Water Rehabilitation Project that included rebuilding well houses, installation of our third reservoir, meters on all users and a telemetry system to monitor the entire system. The funds for this project were a combination of grant money and low interest loans from Public Works Trust Fund, Community Development Block Grant, USDA Rural Developments and Local Options Tax funds.